Caroline sees athletes from a range of different sports and levels. She is an affiliate member of the College of Sports and Exercise Psychologists and is an external provider of psychological services to the Australian Cricketers Associate, The Victorian Insitute of Sport, and Tennis Australia. Caroline is currently the performance psychologist for VIS diving athletes.
Caroline knows what it is like to compete at the highest level. She has first hand experience of the external and internal pressures that elite athletes face as well as the theoretical understanding and training of how to manage that pressure. That is something that gives her psychological practice an extra edge, especially when working with athletes.
Caroline believes that performing at one’s best depends on many factors, but being in peak psychological health is vital. She is passionate about looking holistically at the athletes well-being, ensuring that their mental health is being appropriately managed and that they are receiving the best emotional support in order to achieve the successful results and reach their full potential.
Caroline knows first hand that athletes face many hurdles trying to reach their full potential and achieve their dreams. Anxiety and doubt are normal emotions associated with competition but the ability to manage these emotions is crucial to an athlete’s performance. With the margin of success so narrow at the highest level, an athlete’s mental preparation and mind set is often the difference between winning and losing.
When athletes lack clarity regarding their direction and despite all the best training and preparation things don’t seem to work out on comp day – its time to address the mental component of their game. Psychology can have a major impact upon sports performance and understand the significance of a managing emotions and cognitions prior to and during competition is key. Caroline works with individuals and groups to effectively apply proven sports psychology methods.
Topics Covered in Individual Sessions and Presentations
- Mindfulness techniques for performance enhancement – self-regulation of attention in sport performance, task focus and “flow”
- Resilience Training (overcoming adversity)
- Self-awareness – self regulation, monitoring and “observing self”
- Acceptance techniques – allowing thoughts and emotions to be experienced without letting them affect performance
- Difference between process and outcome goals – values and the importance of acting in a manner that is congruent with these values instead of being influenced by negative thoughts and emotions
- Self Compassion – rather than self confidence and how self compassion impacts performance
Contact Performance Edge to discuss one-one coaching on sports psychology techniques or regarding delivering presentations or workshops to your sporting organisation aimed at either athletes or coaches.
Some recent clients include:
Sports Taekwondo Australia – Emerging Athletes Program
Here’s a short video clip featuring Caroline when she competed in the Olympics and with her briefly sharing some tips for athletes around achieving peak performance.